What are you going to do
You will execute your doctoral research on the basis of your own proposal, within a research area of the Amsterdam School of Historical Studies, under the supervision of at least two experienced researchers.
Tasks and responsibilities:
- submission of a PhD thesis within the period of appointment;
- presenting intermediate research results at workshops and conferences;
- participation in the Research School and Faculty of Humanities PhD training programmes;
- possible teaching deployment at BA-level in the 2nd and 3rd year of the appointment, for a maximum of 0,2 FTE per year.
What do we require
You are a talented researcher, are motivated to embark on a four-year project, are able to work independently while guided by your supervisors, and have the communication skills to present your research clearly in papers, talks, and the final dissertation.
- a completed Master's degree in a field relevant to the proposed PhD project and the research areas of ASH, e.g. Art History, Classics, History, (historical) Literary Studies, (the history of) Philosophy Religious Studies. You may apply if you have not yet completed your Master's degree, but only if you provide a signed letter from your supervisor stating that you will graduate before 1 September 2022;
- excellent research skills demonstrated by an outstanding Master's thesis and/or a track record of academic publications;
- excellent command of English.
Please note that if you already hold a doctorate/PhD or are working towards obtaining a similar degree elsewhere, you will not be admitted to a doctoral programme at the UvA.
For more information, please see the full vacancy on the central website of the University of Amsterdam. Do you have questions after reading the full vacancy? Please contact Simon Speksnijder via firstname.lastname@example.org.